Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Obsession

When Caroline was born, my Mother gave me the first 3 books of the Twlight series. Everyone was reading them at the time. And sometimes I just hate doing what everyone else is doing. So I refused to read them for a while. Well a week before our trip last month, I decided to pick them up and read them so I could give a couple back to my Mom (I had heard they were a fast read). I just finished the fourth book on Friday. Thank goodness. Now I can move on with my life. I have never read a series where I was so engrossed mentally. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Even today I can't stop thinking about them. I decided if I wrote something on it then it would help slip my mind. I thought they were great books. Stephanie Myers did a great job. (Although, I did not like how, being an LDS author, she could have kept it a little more PG rated-especially if they were young adult books.) I can't watch the movies. At least not now. Maybe in a few years. It would ruin my entire mental picture of how things were in my head. I think that is so fascinating about reading books; the mental image in your mind of what is happening. No movie can ever do any justice. Although movies- you watch for 2-3 hours and think about it for sometime after-but nothing like this. Days after. Or days in between. As I said, I'm glad it is over. Now I can be a Mom and a wife again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh it totally pulls you in. I have read them all twice. Seen the movie quite a few times and now OWN the movie as well. I dont think the movie will ruin your images in your mind. I think if anything it will make you appreciate the book more. Of course, like you said, the movie is not NEARLY as good as the book. Still really cool to see though. I thought she did ok with the PG rated stuff. It was a little "graphic" in the 4th book, but they were married and I didn't see a problem with it. Just my opinion. But I agree, glad I am done reading them right now, its best I focus on something else for once! :) Your family will be glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha that is too funny Katie! Yes, all of us around here were bitten by the Twilight bug last summer. I LOVED the books, and like you, I couldn't ever get the out of my head. It was like we all turned into Twilight zombies. All my friends and I agreed that a book has never had quite that much of a mental grip on our minds. My sister, my friend Erika and I went to see the movie at the midnight showing the night it came out in theaters. The theater was packed with girls wearing homemade shirts - so funny.

    I liked the movie. Many parts were no where close to the book in my opinion. I loved the way Kristen Stewart looked in the movie though - totally Bella. Robert Pattinson was a great Edward although he was a little to trendy for me. I thought that the movie should have been double the length to really get into the characters enough for me to give it a high score, but alas, it was just a movie. And I do own it, so I guess I did like it enough:) Funny you should post about this... I was just thinking about reading the series over again. Well when you do see the movie, I'd love to chat about it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like me with the Harry Potter Books. I never read them because I was so busy with high school and then college. So, I borrowed all 7 books from my mom last year and Brian and Morgan had no wife/mom for about a month it seemed. After that, Brian told me I can't read the Twilight series for a couple of years because he's worried I'd get engrossed in them! Glad you enjoyed them. I'm still in the dark--maybe Brian will let me read them next year...
    Oh, and we need to get together soon! I have your project almost done! I know you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete