Friday, February 12, 2010

My successful VBAC

Henry Watts 5 days old

More pictures to come...


My water broke the 19th at about 4:30pm (that's probably the weirdest feeling ever. Thank goodness it was at home.). I met Aaron at the hospital a few hours later. The nurse said I didn't officially start Labor until 9:45 the next morning (when I asked for drugs). I got my epidural a few hours after that. Progression slowed. I finally was dilated to a 9 about 11:00 o'clock that night (the 20th). That night, I got a fever and chills because my water was broken for so long. They finally decided to give me a tiny bit of pitocin. Dilated to a 10 soon after- pushed for maybe 20 minutes and out came Henry at 12:15 am on the 21st!

I lost so much blood and wasn't able to stand up at all the next day without my ears ringing that they checked my iron level. I think you are supposed to be at a 14 or 15 and my iron level was at a 7 and not improving. That night I got a blood transfusion and felt instantly better. So if you see that my dancing skills have improved you'll know why.

My Mom came out twice already. I miss her terribly, but things are going well (considering Aaron's 80 hour work weeks since Henry's birth). Henry is great. Nursing is great. Caroline feels better. She loves her brother, but still needs loves. I have a wonderful Mother-in-law who has gone to the store twice this week for me and is always there when I need her. We are all adjusting, but life is just precious (and busy) with our Henry.

3 comments:

  1. He is so sweet! We are so happy that everything went fairly smoothly . . . aside from the blood transfusion. : ( Hope Caroline feels better soon, and that things calm down with Aaron's work. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling picture! He is so handsome. I can't wait to meet him 2 1/2 weeks. Katie, you are an amazing mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is quite handsome indeed! That Henry Watts.... wow Katie that is a scary delivery story, I am so glad to hear that everything is ok!!! Sweet hair, I love it!

    ReplyDelete